ST. JAMES EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN CHURCH
(aka St. James’ Evangelical Lutheran Church of Eberton)
25 North Adams Street
West York Borough
York, Pennsylvania 17404
St. James’ Lutheran Congregation began with the origination of a petition signed by about 50 persons as of August 25, 1899 requesting that Rev. Edwin Lenhart preach for them in the school building situated on the corner of North Adams and Stanton Streets.
On Tuesday evening, August 29, 1899, nearly one hundred people of Eberton gathered in the school house to organize a new congregation. They named it “St. James Evangelical Church of Eberton.” A song service was held by the choir and congregation. Rev. Lenhart conducted the exercises. Rev. Dr. Enders read the 2nd chapter of the Acts. Rev. Samuel E. Herring offered prayer.
Rev. Dr. Enders was elected chairman and Rev. Herring secretary of the meeting. After an address by Dr. Enders, a constitution recommended by the General Synod was adopted.
Four young men were confirmed and a large number of men and women were received by letters from various churches in the town and country. Two elders and deacons were elected and Rev. Lenhart installed them in their respective offices. The congregation then by unanimous rising vote elected Rev. Lenhart as the pastor of the new church. He accepted the call and Dr. Enders immediately installed him as pastor of St. James Lutheran Church of Eberton.
Congratulatory addresses were made by Revs. Herring, M. Grossman, P. Livingston, and Mr. Luther Enders. Rev. Dr. Enders asked all to kneel and he offered prayer for the new church and its pastor. After a closing hymn Pastor Lenhart pronounced the benediction and St. James’ Lutheran church was launched.
Pastor Lenhart announced services at the usual hour the next Sunday evening.
The charter members of the congregation were: Monroe Berkheimer, George Boyd, H.L. Brenneman, Rebecca Brenneman, James H. Bortner, H.L. Bortner, Robert Crist, Annie Crist, Henry Heilman, Amelia Heilman, Edna Heilman, Jacob Herman, Ida M. Nickey, E.E. Plymyers, Lillie Plymyers, Jacob Royer, Amanda Royer, Hiram Spahr, Sarah Spahr, Benjamin Stayman, Elizabeth Stayman, George D. Smith, Annie C. Smith, John Short, and Charles Short.
The congregation was received into the Western Pennsylvania Synod at Hanover on October 13, 1899.