In 1900, a lot measuring fifty feet on the West Market Street side and 230 feet along North Adams Street was purchased for $1,300 as the site for a house of worship. One half of this cost was donated by the Ebert estate. Pastor Lenhart purchased an adjoining lot on the east 32 feet by 230 feet as the location for a future parsonage.
The cornerstone for the church was laid Sunday, May 27, 1900, at 2 p.m. Rev. Lenhart, together with his congregation and their friends, numbering about 500, gathered at the foundation of the church. The church, 47 feet by 32 feet, and the annex 24 feet by 16 feet. A large choir led by Mrs. Lenhart, the pastor’s wife, occupied the platform. Mrs. Lenhart presided at the organ. Seats were temporarily placed about the foundation. The pastor, Rev. Lenhart, placed the stone in the name of the holy trinity in keeping with the liturgy of the Evangelical Lutheran Church. The following articles were placed in the cornerstone: a copy of the Holy Bible; Luther’s Small Catechism as adopted by the general synod; a book of worship of the Lutheran church; a brief history of St. James’ Lutheran Church of Eberton; and three Lutheran papers, Observer, Evangelist, World; the four daily papers of York, the Gazette, Daily, Press, and Dispatch.
Rev. C.E. Walters, D.D., pastor of St. Paul’s Lutheran Church, York, gave the sermon. Rev. G.W. Enders, D.D., pastor of Christ Lutheran Church, York, assisted in the services. A large platform choir was conducted by Mrs. Lenhart who also presided at the organ. The services consisted of a scriptural reading from 1 Peter 11, a sermon by Rev. Walter and an address by Rev. Enders. Rev. Lenhart laid the cornerstone, Arthur King of Middletown and formerly of York, offered prayer, and the service was closed with the benediction by Rev. Lenhart.
Note: The Gazette newspaper reported that the sermon was presented by Rev. Fastnacht of Union Lutheran Church.
The Sunday School had a picnic at Nashville, Saturday, July 21, 1900. The 9 o’clock Western Maryland Railroad train stopped at Martin’s Carriage Works. The Eberton siding where the picnickers boarded. Tickets were sold at Ketterman and Lease’s store, Eberton.
Gazette, York, Wednesday, October 27, 1900: “Eberton Lutheran Church – The new St. James Lutheran Church of Eberton will soon be ready for occupancy. All summer its members and friends worked faithfully on the building in the evening after shop time and on days off until it is now receiving its final touches by the plasterer. These faithful builders will again resume their work and finish theinterior by candlelight. The leaded windows of beautiful design and color are manufactured by C.D. Rudy of Harrisburg, are ready to put in place. The chairs, 240, and lights are all ready. The pulpit and altar stand are under construction by friends who have cheerfully offered these gifts to their enterprising little band of workers. Many anxious hearts will rejoice when the services now so well attended in the schoolhouse can be held in the long looked for and beautiful house of worship.”
Rev. and Mrs. Lenhart, pastor and organist, were completely surprised at the close of the Christmas exercise on Christmas evening, by the presentation of envelopes filled with greenbacks and silver by the Sunday school.