On April 1, 1929, Rev. G.E. Miller, accepted the call extended to him by the congregation and came to St. James.
An echo organ with one set of liberty chimes and the vox humanna stop, was installed in the sanctuary in 1935. It was presented in memory of Jennie March and son, Neil Edward. The donors were Mr. and Mrs. Albert Gross and Luther March.
A harp, dedicated to the deceased members, was added to the organ in 1936.
The Luther League installed and equipped a room in the church basement in 1937 which became a place for meetings by committees and other groups. The front of the social room was improved by the League to provide a more worshipful atmosphere.
During the summer of 1939, the interior of the church was renovated. It was painted, new lights were installed in the church auditorium; and floors were refinished. The woodwork, pews, and seats in the auditorium were revarnished. New carpet was placed in the chancel and the aisles. Minor repairs and im provements were made throughout the building. The entire project cost $2,594.83 for which all funds were available from cash and commitments at the time of dedication on Sunday, September 10, 1939.
A new heating plant was placed in the church during the year 1941.
The year 1943 witnessed the liquidation of all indebtedness on the church, an achievement that was observed by a special service held Sunday, June 20, at which a note burning ceremony was held.
On January 14, 1945 a resolution was passed by the congregation that a committee be appointed to raise funds for a building program.
A building committee was authorized by the adoption of a resolution approved by the congrega tion on September 8, 1948 to draw up tentative plans for a new building. The estimated cost at that time was $150,000. The amount in the building fund account was then $24,000.
In the year 1949, the congregation of St. James’ celebrated their Golden Jubilee Anniversary. Appropriate services were held during October. As part of these services, a successful financial drive was conducted and the amount raised, $8,079, was placed in the building fund. There were 1121 baptized and 971 confirmed members in 1949. The number of communing members was 715.