In November, 1951, a ballot was mailed to each member asking them to note “Yes or No” for or against raising the proposed amount of money for building purposes. Several days later the returned bal lots were counted and the result was in the affirmative. The building committee held a meeting on May 13, 1952. Plans were then made to conduct drive for funds and $22,633.61 was raised.
May 1, 1954 a resolution was passed by the Church Council instructing the building committee that they secure bids from several contractors for a new Sunday School addition and the results of the bid ding be presented to the congregation. At the July 13, 1954 building committee meeting, Alfred Hamme, Registered Architect of York, presented and explained the building plans he submitted.
Following several months of study and plan revision, the building committee approved the plans at a special meeting December 19, 1954. The architect was instructed to advertise for bids, the bids to be opened at the July 19, 1955 meeting. Following this meeting the three lowest bidders were asked to resubmit bids. On July 28, 1955, it was voted by the committee award the general construction contract to Edwin C. Myers of Dover, Pa. at a base bid of $165,374. On Sunday morning, July 31, 1955, at a congre gational meeting, the building committee was given permission to sign a contract and to commence building.
Rev. Richard S. Shanebrook began serving the church as pastor in February, 1961. During
his first year of service he became ill while attending a class party in the church. He returned to his home and was admitted to the hospital when his condition worsened. He died at 8:35 a.m. the following morning at the age of 49 years.
In 1957, at a cost of $165,347, a new three story unit was added to the north end of the church.
At the end of 1969, the membership of the church was composed of 1,484 baptized members which included 407 children and 1,077 adults. The active membership was reported as 867 members and 805 had communed during the year.
[Editor’s note: The term of Rev. Robert K. Shaull, beginning in 1973 was overlooked]
[Editor’s note: In 1988, a building project to make the building handicap accessible was undertaken. The entrance at the northeastern corner of the building was renovated to include a drive-through overhang and a ramp. In addition, an elevette was installed near the middle of the north wall that served all 3 floors of the building. The total cost, which was raised prior to construction, was approximately $20,000.]
Rev. Robert E. Nale resigned as pastor in September, 1989 and Rev. Gordon Folkomer served as vice pastor until Rev. George W. Fitch, Jr. was elected and assumed the pastoral duties July 1, 1990. His installation services were held Sunday, September 23, 1990.
The youth group of the church held a carwash fund raising activity on Saturday, April 20, 1991. The event was conducted along the U.S. 30 by-pass around York. The $2 received per wash was to benefit a trip by the youth to attend the National Lutheran Youth Gathering in Dallas, Texas, during July.
The 1992 Vacation Bible School was conducted for 4 year olds to adults on Monday- Friday, June 22-26, 1992. Sessions were held from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. and the theme was “Together in Jesus’ Name.”